Monday 22 October 2012

Chess Piece Drawing Review





The image above is a drawing of a chess piece and a background which is a play on the grad technique used to draw images in an easier simpler way. As part of my assignment I had to try different techniques to copy my hand drawn work into a digital for in the most successful way. This is why I have three images of the same drawing. The first one is a scan image with some photoshop improvements. I think this was an effective way to copy my work because a photograph a it sometimes creates a shine from the burnishing and adds a highlight that shouldn't be there. The second image is a photograph of my image using a copy stand. I do not think this was an effective way to copy my work for two reasons. One, the bright hot lights create a yellow tint on my drawing which is not supposed to be there. Secondly, the bright lights also create an extra highlight by flashing back light right into the camera lens where there is some burnishing. The third image is another photograph taking outside where there is softer light. This way my I wouldn't get the yellow tint or the burnished highlight. I think this technique was more effective than the copy stand, but for this specific image I think that the scanned image was the most effective. I think this because the scan image captured all of my detail, while the outside image did not.

       While I was planing this drawing I wanted to make it visually interesting. I did this by modifying the technique of drawing with a grid. I drew the pawn using a grid and then took individual sections of the grid and copied them somewhere else on the page. Sometimes rotating or flipping the section to make the viewer look further. I used value to show light. I think I did this well because my drawing has large value scale with deep blacks and shades of white. The lines used in the chess piece its self are very confident and polished. While the lines used to draw the grid are confident and polished, but are very light because I had originally had the intensions of erasing those lines but once the piece was finished i decided that it would be best if the lines stayed.


1 comment:

  1. I really love you chess piece, and the post, but it was a little difficult to read and understand. The methods of copying your image onto the computer are well written, but the actual drawing process didn't have as much detail.

    I do think your lines are confident, but you didn't describe them as thick or thin or if it leads you to the focal point. I really like how you also expressed your opinion about this.

    The value is great and the gradation is really well done.

    Just talk more about how you created the piece. c: Well done.

    ReplyDelete